What Causes A Trucking Accident?
Tractor Trailers and Commercial Trucks are a unique presence on roads that are occupied mostly by passenger vehicles. Commercial vehicles present dangers that are unique and sometimes fatal. Commericial vehicle drivers need to be aware of the circumstances that cause many of their accidents, but it is also beneficial that car drivers are aware of those circumstances as well. Especially on New York Highways and at higher speeds, where smaller vehicles are concerned, seemingly insignificant driving errors that may occur without consequence can result in catastrophic events when an eighteen-wheeler is involved.
Here are some common situations that can cause or contribute to commercial truck accidents:
Dangers created by Commercial Truck Drivers
Commercial truck drivers are skilled and patient drivers, for the most part. However a number of characteristics inherent in the business can contribute to traffic accidents. Some major factors include:
Unsafe Acts By Passenger Vehicle Drivers
- Driving in the “No-Zones” – the areas behind and beside a commercial truck where the truck driver has limited or zero visibility
- Changing lanes abruptly in front of a truck
- Maneuvering to the right of a truck that is making a right turn.
- Misjudging an approaching truck’s speed at an intersection, and making a left turn in front of the truck.
- Merging improperly into traffic, causing a truck to maneuver or brake quickly.
- Failure to slow down or speed up when a truck begins to change lanes or merge.
- Unsafe passing, particularly passing with insufficient headway.
- Passing a truck, then being blown out of position by air turbulence or cross-wind.
- Pulling into traffic from the roadside in front of a truck without accelerating sufficiently.
- Driving between large trucks.
- Abandoning a vehicle in a travel lane, or failing to get a disabled vehicle completely off the highway and onto the shoulder.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in the New York City area, contact The Orlow Firm. Our NYC injury law firm offers free initial consultations and operates three offices across New York City for your convenience. We can go to you if you cannot come to us. To contact a lawyer, call (718) 544-4100.