Tractor Trailer Accidents In New York
When large trucks carrying thousands of pounds of payload share the roads in New Yourk with passenger vehicles, the results of any collision are invariably dangerous and deadly. Truck accidents represent a serious problem to all drivers. These are the facts:
- One out of eight traffic fatalities is caused by a collision with a large truck
- Trucks weighing 10,000+ pounds represent only 3 percent of all registered vehicles on the road, yet they account for over 25 percent of the fatalities that occur in multiple vehicle accidents
- Nearly 80 percent of all large truck accidents involve more than one vehicle;
- Trucks accounted for more than 100,000 accidents, 23,000 injuries and 4,808 fatalities in 2007, according to a report by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
Have you have been involved in a tractor trailer accident or lost a loved one in a collision with a large truck? You or your loved one are likely facing serious medical bills and other unforeseen costs. The New York Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyers of The Orlow Law Firm can help. With over 20 years of Tractor Trailer Accident experience they can have you get the money you deserve.
Why are truck accidents so frequent?
According to a 2007 federal study, factors that lead to wrecks for semi trucks and their drivers include:
- Driver fatigue. Experts say fatigue plays a role in almost half of all trucking accidents because many drivers spend a full day behind the wheel or are pressured to skip mandated sleep breaks in order to meet shipping deadlines;
- Prescription and over-the-counter drug use;
- Poorly maintained equipment, especially brakes or tires;
- Unfamiliarity with local roads;
- Vehicle size and weight. Larger trucks are more difficult to turn quickly, even when the driver is alert and the vehicle is properly maintained;
- Speeding, tailgating and other instances of careless driving.
Contact An Attorney!
If you were involved in an accident, protect yourself and contact the Orlow Firm. With over 30 years of Truck Rollover Accident experience, the Orlow Firm will get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us for a free initial consultation.